Antelope Valley Indian Museum State Historic Park
- Represents American Indian groups, both aboriginal and contemporary, of the Southwest, Great Basin, and California cultural regions
- Joshua Cottage features a “touch table” room where everyone can experience food grinding and processing techniques, or learn how earlier Indian groups started fires using sticks or bow drills.
- Location: 15701 East Avenue M in Lancaster,19 mi. east of the Antelope Valley Freeway (State Highway 14), in northeastern Los Angeles County
- Open mid-September to mid-June on weekends from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Special docent led tours are available Tuesdays through Thursdays, by appointment only.
- Call (661) 946-3055 or (661) 942-0662
- Visit http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=632
Catalina Island Museum
- Displays prehistoric artifacts and other island memorabilia
- Research facilities are available by appointment: (310) 510-2414. Please ask for the Curator.
- Location: in the town of Avalon on Catalina Island
- Open April to December, daily from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.; closed Thursday from January to March and on Christmas Day
- Admission: $4 adults, $3 seniors, $1 children
- Call (310) 510-2414
Los Angeles Maritime Museum
- Exhibits featuring the early maritime history of the harbor
- Location: at Berth 84, foot of 6th Street in San Pedro, 20 mi. south of Los Angeles International Airport
- Open Tuesday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Sunday from 12 noon to 5 p.m.; closed Monday
- $3 adults, $1 youth and senior citizens, children are free
- Call (310) 548-7618
- Visit www.lamaritimemuseum.org
San Gabriel Mission
- Mission San Gabriel Arcángel was established on September 8, 1771
- Location: 428 South Mission Drive in San Gabriel
- Open daily from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Admission: $5 adults, $4 seniors/students, $3 children 6 to 18. Free guided tours for groups 10 or more if a docent is available.
- Call (626) 457-3048
- Visit http://www.sangabrielmission.org
- Features magnificent exhibits on California prehistory and history
- Includes the Braun Research Library
- Location: 234 Museum Drive in Los Angeles
- Closed at present
- Call (323) 221-2164
- Visit http://autrynationalcenter.org/southwest/