San Luis Obispo
Hearst San Simeon State Historic Monument
- A spectacular landscape setting containing the Hearst mansion and its priceless European antiquities
- La Cuesta Encantada, the “Enchanted Hill” high above the ocean at San Simeon, was the creation of two extraordinary individuals, William Randolph Hearst and architect Julia Morgan.
- The Visitors Center features an exhibit on the Hearst family’s industrial empire.
- Location: off of Highway 1 at San Simeon, near Cambria
- Four daytime tours and one evening tour are available. Day tours begin at 8:20 a.m. daily, and the last tour starts at 3:20 p.m. Evening tour start times are variable.
- Call (800) 444-4445 or for recorded information (805) 927-2020
- Visit http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=591
Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa
Mission San Miguel
- Established in 1797
- Still functions as a local parish
- The earthquake of December 22, 2003 caused extensive damage to the old Mission Church, and portions of mission complex are now closed to the public. The mission museum has reopened.
- Location: on the east side of Highway 101 in San Miguel
- Call (805) 467-2131
- Visit http://www.missionsanmiguel.org/
San Luis Obispo County Archaeological Society
San Luis Obispo County Historical Society Museum
- Exhibit helps explain the cultural shifts that occurred when the native Chumash and Salinan tribes first encountered the Spanish
- Location: 696 Monterey Street in San Luis Obispo
- Open Wednesday through Sunday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Admission: free, but donations are accepted
- Call (805) 543-0638
- Visit http://historycenterslo.org/