Kern County Museum
- Contains over 50 historic structures and exhibits depicting the history of Kern County and the West, set amid 16 acres of beautiful grounds
- Location: 3801 Chester Avenue in Bakersfield
- Open Monday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Sunday from 12 noon to 5 p.m.
- Admission: $8 adults, $7 seniors/students, $6 children 6 to 12, $5 children 3 to 5, children under 3 are free
- Call (661) 852-5000
- Visit http://www.kcmuseum.org
Kern Valley Museum
- Exhibits on the prehistory and history of the Kern Valley
- Displays objects used by the first known inhabitants of the area, the Tubatulabal Indians, whose descendants live here today
- Location: 49 Big Blue Road, next to the Post Office, in Kernville
- Open Thursday through Sunday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Call (760) 376-6683
- Visit http://www.kernvalley.com/news/museum.htm
- Exhibits on the natural and cultural history of the Upper Mojave Desert, including rock art and geology
- Location: 100 East Las Flores Avenue in Ridgecrest
- Open daily from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Admission: $3 adults; $2 seniors, U.S. military members, and students; free for Children 6 years of age and under
- Call (760) 375-6900
- Visit http://www.maturango.org
Red Rock Canyon State Park
- Features a 1/4-mi. nature/interpretive trail and museum
- Location: on Highway 14, 25 mi. northeast of Mojave
- Exhibits at the visitors center are open Saturday and Sunday from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Admission: $4 adults, children 16 and under are free.
- Call (661) 942-0662
- Visit http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=631
Tomo-Kahni State Historic Park
- Tomo-Kahni or “Winter Village” was the site of a Kawaiisu (Nuooah Village).
- Advance reservations are required. Due to the extremely sensitive nature of the site, Tomo-Kahni is available to the public by tour only. These tours are led by trained State Park Volunteers on weekends during the spring and fall months. Tours begin with an orientation at the Errea House at 311 South Green Street in Tehachapi. After an orientation, it is necessary to drive approximately 12 mi. to the park (high clearance vehicles are recommended).
- Call (661) 942-0662
- Visit http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=610