Semi-annual in August and December, 256 pages per volume
Subscription Pricing (1 year):
Personal (online only) $59.00
Institutions(online only) $354.00;
Personal (print and online) $71.00
Institutions(print and online) $387.00
Add $10 for subscriptions outside the United States.
SCA members receive the journal as a benefit of membership.
California Archaeology publishes original papers on the archaeology of Alta California, Baja California, and adjoining regions (southern Oregon, western Nevada, and western Arizona). The journal is dedicated to advancing knowledge of California’s past, and it will consider manuscripts that treat theory, method, and/or empirical findings from either the prehistoric or historic (text-aided) era. Ethnohistoric or ethnographic studies will be considered only if they make explicit connections to or have clear implications for the material record. Paleoenvironmental studies will be considered with the same caveat. Papers dealing with the recent past (< 50 years) will be given lower priority for publication.
The journal publishes four types of papers: articles that advance theoretical, methodological, and/or empirical knowledge of a major issue in the prehistory or history of California or an adjoining region; reports that present descriptive information on important and/or unusual discoveries; letters that briefly comment on recently published research (commonly followed by a response); and reviews that briefly evaluate recently published books, DVDs, museum exhibits, or other materials with significant archaeological content.
The journal also publishes a News and Notes column, which includes information on recent fieldwork, legal developments, and/or other events or activities related to the practice of archaeology in California and adjoining regions, and an In Memoriam column on prominent, recently deceased members of the California archaeological community.
Submissions to California Archaeology are made through the journal’s Editorial Manager:
Authors must first register for the Editorial Manager and then may upload their manuscript and other materials.
Other information about the journal and detailed instructions for preparing manuscripts for submission are available at:
Please note that News and Notes and In Memoriam submissions should be directly emailed to the News and Notes editor at Jennifer@nullscahome.org.
For assistance or any other questions please email the Editor at email@example.com.
Mark W. Allen
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
Portland State University, Portland, Oregon
University of Washington
Santa Clara University
ASM Affiliates, Inc.
Tsim D. Schneider
University of California, Santa Cruz
News and Notes
Pacific Gas & Electric Company
- Rebecca Allen (United Auburn Indian Community, Auburn, CA, USA)
- Eric Bartelink (California State University, Chico, CA, USA)
- Robert Bettinger (University of California, Davis, CA, USA)
- Todd Braje (San Diego State University, CA, USA)
- Gregg Castro (Salinan Heritage Associates, San Jose, CA, USA)
- Brian Codding (University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT, USA)
- Jelmer Eerkens University of California, Davis, CA, USA)
- Jon Erlandson (University of Oregon, Eugene, OR, USA)
- Jennifer Farquhar (University of Pittsburgh, PA, USA)
- Richard Fitzgerald (California State Parks, Sacramento, CA, USA)
- Michael Glassow (University of California, Santa Barbara, CA, USA)
- Alexandra Greenwald (University of Utah, UT, USA)
- Amy E. Gusick (Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County, Los Angeles, CA, USA)
- William Hildebrandt (Far Western Anthropological Research Group, Inc., Davis, CA, USA)
- Richard Hughes (Geochemical Research Laboratory, Portola Valley, CA, USA)
- Kathleen Hull (University of California, Merced, CA, USA)
- Mark Hylkelma (California State Parks, Felton, CA, USA)
- Steven R. James (California State University, Fullerton, CA, USA)
- Terry Jones (California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, CA, USA)
- Douglas Kennett (University of California, Santa Barbara, CA, USA)
- Kathryn Klar (University of California, Berkeley, CA, USA)
- Edward Luby (San Francisco State University, CA, USA)
- Desiree Martinez (Cogstone Resource Management, Inc., Orange, CA, USA)
- Christopher Morgan (University of Nevada, Reno, NV, USA)
- Michael Moratto (Consulting Archaeologist, CA, USA)
- Jennifer E. Perry (California State University Channel Islands, Camarillo, CA, USA)
- Marin Pilloud (University of Nevada, Reno, NV, USA)
- Antonio Porcayo Michelini (Centro Baja California, Instituto Nacional de Antropología e Historia, Mexicali, Mexico)
- Seetha Reddy (Reddy Anthropological Consulting, Inc., Davis, CA, USA)
- Torben Rick (Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC, USA)
- Nathan Stevens (California State University, Sacramento, CA, USA)
- Mark Q. Sutton (University of San Diego, CA, USA)
- Shannon Tushingham (Washington State University, Pullman, WA, USA)
- René Vellanoweth (California State University, Los Angeles, CA, USA)
- Barb Voss (Stanford University, Stanford, CA, USA)
- Thomas Wake (University of California, Los Angeles, CA, USA)
- Carly Whelan (California State University, Chico, CA, USA)
- Adrian Whitaker (Far Western Anthropological Research Group, Inc., Davis, CA, USA)
- David S. Whitley (ASM Affiliates, CA, Tehachapi, CA, USA)
- Eric Wohlgemuth (Far Western Anthropological Research Group, Inc., Davis, CA, USA)