Semi-annual in August and December, 256 pages per volume
Subscription Pricing (1 year):
Personal (online only) $59.00
Institutions(online only) $354.00;
Personal (print and online) $71.00
Institutions(print and online) $387.00
Add $10 for subscriptions outside the United States.
SCA members receive the journal as a benefit of membership.
California Archaeology publishes original papers on the archaeology of Alta California, Baja California, and adjoining regions (southern Oregon, western Nevada, and western Arizona). The journal is dedicated to advancing knowledge of California’s past, and it will consider manuscripts that treat theory, method, and/or empirical findings from either the prehistoric or historic (text-aided) era. Ethnohistoric or ethnographic studies will be considered only if they make explicit connections to or have clear implications for the material record. Paleoenvironmental studies will be considered with the same caveat. Papers dealing with the recent past (< 50 years) will be given lower priority for publication.
The journal publishes four types of papers: articles that advance theoretical, methodological, and/or empirical knowledge of a major issue in the prehistory or history of California or an adjoining region; reports that present descriptive information on important and/or unusual discoveries; letters that briefly comment on recently published research (commonly followed by a response); and reviews that briefly evaluate recently published books, DVDs, museum exhibits, or other materials with significant archaeological content.
The journal also publishes a News and Notes column, which includes information on recent fieldwork, legal developments, and/or other events or activities related to the practice of archaeology in California and adjoining regions, and an In Memoriam column on prominent, recently deceased members of the California archaeological community.
Submissions to California Archaeology are primarily electronic. Manuscripts should be submitted through email as MS Word documents to the Editor at firstname.lastname@example.org. Identify the manuscript as an ARTICLE, REPORT, LETTER, or REVIEW. Tables should be sent together in a single file in either MS Word or Excel format. Figures should each be sent in a separate file. Figure captions should be included at the end of the file containing the main text. Photos should be submitted as Photoshop TIFFs (preferred) or JPEGs, black and white, 300 dpi resolution at 5 inches wide. Artwork, charts, and graphs should be in Illustrator EPS (preferred) or PDFs, grayscale, 300 dpi resolution at 5 inches wide. If authors choose to send PDFs of artwork, they must embed all fonts (sans-serif preferred). Charts, graphs, figures, or photographs supplied in Word or Excel will not be accepted.
Articles are limited to 30 double-spaced pages (12pt, Times Roman) including references, figures, and tables. Reports are limited to 12 pages. Letters and responses are limited to 350 words and no more than 6 references. Reviews are limited to 1000 words. Manuscripts should be prepared according to the style guide for American Antiquity (including the Spanish abstract)
Exceptions to this style policy are:
- Page margins should 1.25 inches for manuscripts submitted to California Archaeology
- Tables should be single-spaced.
All articles and reports will be subject to peer review by no fewer than three reviewers as recommended by the Editors and members of the Editorial Board. Peer review of letters will be at the discretion of the Editor. Final decisions on all publications will be made by the Editor who reserves the right to return manuscripts that do not meet expectations or that fail to conform to these guidelines. The review process generally takes two to four months. Authors will be notified as soon as decisions are reached to reject or accept a paper.
Submit your ARTICLE, REPORT or LETTER to the editor at email@example.com
Submit your REVIEW to firstname.lastname@example.org
Submit your NEWS and NOTES to Jennifer@nullscahome.org.
Mark W. Allen
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
Portland State University, Portland, Oregon
University of Washington
Santa Clara University
ASM Affiliates, Inc.
Tsim D. Schneider
University of California, Santa Cruz
News and Notes
Pacific Gas & Electric Company
- Rebecca Allen (United Auburn Indian Community, Auburn, CA, USA)
- Eric Bartelink (California State University, Chico, CA, USA)
- Robert Bettinger (University of California, Davis, CA, USA)
- Todd Braje (California Academy of Sciences, CA, USA)
- Gregg Castro (Salinan Heritage Associates, San Jose, CA, USA)
- Brian Codding (University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT, USA)
- Jelmer Eerkens University of California, Davis, CA, USA)
- Jon Erlandson (University of Oregon, Eugene, OR, USA)
- Jennifer Farquhar (University of Pittsburgh, PA, USA)
- Richard Fitzgerald (California State Parks, Sacramento, CA, USA)
- Michael Glassow (University of California, Santa Barbara, CA, USA)
- Alexandra Greenwald (Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ, USA)
- Amy E. Gusick (Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County, Los Angeles, CA, USA)
- William Hildebrandt (Far Western Anthropological Research Group, Inc., Davis, CA, USA)
- Richard Hughes (Geochemical Research Laboratory, Portola Valley, CA, USA)
- Kathleen Hull (University of California, Merced, CA, USA)
- Mark Hylkelma (California State Parks, Felton, CA, USA)
- Steven R. James (California State University, Fullerton, CA, USA)
- Terry Jones (California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, CA, USA)
- Douglas Kennett (University of California, Santa Barbara, CA, USA)
- Kathryn Klar (University of California, Berkeley, CA, USA)
- Edward Luby (San Francisco State University, CA, USA)
- Desiree Martinez (Cogstone Resource Management, Inc., Orange, CA, USA)
- Christopher Morgan (University of Nevada, Reno, NV, USA)
- Michael Moratto (Applied Earthworks, Inc., Fresno, CA, USA)
- Jennifer E. Perry (California State University Channel Islands, Camarillo, CA, USA)
- Marin Pilloud (University of Nevada, Reno, NV, USA)
- Antonio Porcayo Michelini (Centro Baja California, Instituto Nacional de Antropología e Historia, Mexicali, Mexico)
- Seetha Reddy (Reddy Anthropological Consulting, Inc., Davis, CA, USA)
- Torben Rick (Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC, USA)
- Nathan Stevens (California State University, Sacramento, CA, USA)
- Mark Q. Sutton (University of San Diego, CA, USA)
- Shannon Tushingham (Washington State University, Pullman, WA, USA)
- René Vellanoweth (California State University, Los Angeles, CA, USA)
- Barb Voss (Stanford University, Stanford, CA, USA)
- Thomas Wake (University of California, Los Angeles, CA, USA)
- Carly Whelan (California State University, Chico, CA, USA)
- Adrian Whitaker (Far Western Anthropological Research Group, Inc., Davis, CA, USA)
- David S. Whitley (ASM Affiliates, CA, Tehachapi, CA, USA)
- Eric Wohlgemuth (Far Western Anthropological Research Group, Inc., Davis, CA, USA)