Company Website: SWCA Environmental Consultants – Careers – Lead or Senior Archaeologist / Principal Investigator in Pasadena, California | Careers at Pasadena, CA (icims.com)
Job Location: Pasadena, CA
Lead or Senior Archaeologist / Principal Investigator
About the opportunity
SWCA’s Southern California operation is seeking a Cultural Resources Lead or Senior Archaeologist / Principal Investigator to support its growing practice. The ideal candidate will assist the Directors, Team Leads, and Project Managers with project coordination and quality control for cultural resource management projects and expand SWCA’s professional reputation in archaeological and historical consulting and research. This is a regular, full-time salaried position and will report to the Technical Director. Salary will be based on individual qualifications and experience. The position will be based out of our Pasadena or San Diego offices but is open to highly qualified candidates who prefer to work from a home office elsewhere in California or adjacent states who are willing to travel for project work.
This position is available at the below levels and title will be based on years of relevant experience or expertise:
- Lead Archaeologist – typically at least 8 years of related experience or expertise
- Senior Archaeologist – typically at least 10 years of related experience or expertise
What you will accomplish
- Serve as primary author on large technical reports, research designs, and other technical documents.
- Conduct content edits of technical reports and site forms.
- Oversee field research, data collection, inventory, analysis, and final report production, ensuring these tasks are conducted in accordance with the QA/QC plan.
- Assist with training and mentoring of staff in topics including NRHP/CRHR eligibility, implementation of research designs, technical reporting, and site recording protocols.
- Take initiative, resolve problems, and create improved procedures to ensure that tasks are completed in the most effective manner.
- Comply with SWCA and client safety programs and assist in the development of such programs.
- Maintain good working relationships with state and federal agency contacts and clients.
- Additional project management duties as needed: manage budgets, prepare proposals, interact with clients, and manage staff.
Experience and qualifications for success
- Minimum of a Master’s degree in Archaeology or Anthropology required; Ph.D. preferred
- Minimum of eight (8) years of supervisory and fieldwork experience required – academic or research-oriented supervisory experience can substitute for a portion of compliance-based experience.
- Must demonstrate completion, at a PI level, of a minimum of one testing or data recovery excavation project (three or more projects a plus) involving primarily archaeological investigations and preparation of final reports consistent with the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards and Guidelines for Archeology and Historic Preservation. Projects shall have been performed under the jurisdiction of the National Historic Preservation Act or CEQA
- Emphasis in California archaeology and a current technical specialization (i.e. lithic analysis, historical archaeology, GIS, architectural history, etc.)
- Experience with and thorough knowledge of NEPA, CEQA, and Section 106
- Listed as a Registered Professional Archaeologist (or qualified for RPA status)
- Peer-reviewed publication record and conference presentation experience preferred and will be supported in this role
- Experience with content edits of reports and a solid background of scheduling and budgeting of projects related to cultural resources
- Ability to work independently as well as oversee small or large projects by working closely with Field Directors and Project Managers
- Ability to travel an estimated 10-20% of the time.
SWCA Environmental Consultants is a growing employee-owned firm, providing a full spectrum of environmental services. With offices across the United States, SWCA is one of the largest environmental compliance firms and ranks among Engineering News-Record’s Top 200 Environmental Firms.
If you would like to contact SWCA regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the online application process due to a disability, please email moc.acwsnull@snoitadommocca or call 1-480-581-5378. This contact information is for disability accommodation requests only. All other inquiries will not receive a response.
EOE – women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
SWCA is committed to salary equity and salary transparency for all its employees. In alignment with this commitment, SWCA posts good faith pay ranges in all its advertised job postings to promote pay equity and transparency.
An employee in this Pasadena, CA-based position can expect a salary of $84,825.00-$110,565.00/year for the Lead Archaeologist position, and a salary of $95,940.00-$125,190.00/year at the Sr. Archaeologist level. Actual pay within this range may depend on experience, qualifications, geographic location, client requirements where applicable, and other factors permitted by law. Regular-status employees are also eligible for performance bonuses. Candidates are also encouraged to consider SWCA’s Total Rewards package, which includes a competitive Benefits package, forward-thinking workplace flexibility, outstanding corporate culture, award-winning career development, and more.
Click here to apply!
To apply for this job please visit careers-swca.icims.com.