HELIX Environmental Planning, Inc. (HELIX), a growing, employee-owned California-based environmental consulting and planning firm, is currently seeking as-needed archaeologists for our Cultural Resources Division. HELIX offers environmental, biological, cultural resources, acoustical, air quality, and GIS services to both the public and private sectors. Candidate must be willing and able to work for extended work rotations on the Channel Islands.
As-Needed Archaeologist responsibilities may include conducting or overseeing records searches and background research, field surveys, excavation (testing and data recovery), construction monitoring, coordination with Native American tribes and representatives, laboratory studies (cleaning, sorting, and cataloging artifacts), and preparing reports. Candidate must be a qualified archaeologist under the Secretary of the Interior’s standards; comfortable with working in remote areas; have knowledge of the archaeology and culture history of coastal California; possess excellent writing and communication skills; and be self-motivated. Candidates must be able to work independently and have a positive attitude.
HELIX is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage all qualified applicants to apply regardless of gender, race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, age, family status, or veteran status.
- Master’s degree in Anthropology, Archaeology, or a closely related field
- Must have a minimum of one year of experience with prehistoric archaeology
- Experience with Tribal coordination and consultation
- Knowledge of the archaeology and cultural history of coastal California
- Ability to work independently with considerable responsibility
- Ability to work for extended periods in remote areas
- Possess excellent written/verbal communication skills
- Possess a valid California Driver’s License and 3 years clean driving record
Additional skills considered a plus
- Experience with Channel Islands archaeology is highly preferred
- Experience managing medium- to large-scale cultural resource management projects
- Supervisory experience managing teams on archaeology projects
- Experience applying Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act
- Field experience on military installations
- Experience with GPS equipment
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.paylocity.com.