Website Historical Research Associates
Historical Research Associates (HRA) is seeking an Archaeologist 1 to join our collaborative team of experts in our Eugene office. This is a salaried, full-time position with anticipated salary of $51,055-$61,266 depending on experience and qualifications.
HRA is a federal contractor performing work in states with multiple vaccine mandates and is subject to those requirements. This position will support our federal clients and thus will also be subject to the vaccine mandates. In response, HRA requests that all employees be vaccinated or have an approved accommodation under the allowable federal reasons.
The Archaeologist 1 performs research tasks, fieldwork, laboratory, and/or writing tasks as part of a project team. As directed by project managers, leads small field projects and occasionally directs project team members in specific tasks. Contributes to the preparation of reports and client deliverables under the oversight of project managers.
Required education and experience:
- Master’s Degree or PhD in Anthropology or closely related field with Archaeology emphasis
- Completion of an Archaeological Study required under Criterion 4 of the Oregon SHPO’s Qualified Archaeologist Application; study much deal with archaeological field research (see https://www.oregon.gov/oprd/OH/Documents/Qualified_Archaeologist_Application.pdf more information).
- Completion of accredited field school.
- Familiarity with the Section 106 process.
Preferred Qualifications and Experience:
- Six months or more field experience
- Oregon Qualified Archaeologist (or specific and demonstrated experience that meets these qualifications).
- Registered Professional Archaeologist.
Required skills and abilities:
- General: Proficient in the use of technology to include, but not limited to GPS and other data collection devises, use of online databases, digital cameras, scanners, and audio recordings, and computer software such as Microsoft Word and Excel. Requires valid driver’s license and ability to operate passenger car and/or light truck.
- Teamwork: Develop and maintain positive relationships, ability to balance work schedules and demands, provide and accept feedback, seek to resolve conflict through communication and collaboration, use effective verbal and written communication, listen and communicate effectively. Successfully function within a project team, work closely with project team members, and take direction from a project manager.
- Research: Conduct background research in various sources including ethnographies, soils/environmental/cultural background, SHPO databases, GLO plats, land patents/historic maps, and tax assessments. Have the ability to recognize the need for and to locate additional background or archival resources.
- Writing: Sufficient technical writing skills to contribute to deliverables. Contribute to research, inventory, resource evaluation, and monitoring plans and reports; the ability to contribute to high quality products with knowledge and understanding of appropriate style for the document.
- Field: Successful use of a compass, topographic maps, GPS, ArcPAD, and related field equipment.
Candidates should assume that up to 70 percent of their time will be spent in the field, and at least 25-30 percent of that travel will be outside of Eugene.
HRA offers competitive compensation and a full benefits package that includes vacation, sick leave, holidays, medical insurance, and 401K.
Please submit a letter of interest, résumé with three references, and an optional short writing sample (CRM report preferred; an educational thesis will not be accepted) to Human Resources at moc.cossarhnull@RH. Application materials must indicate how you have completed an Archaeological Study dealing with archaeological field research as required under Criterion 4 of the Oregon SHPO’s Qualified Archaeologist Application (or that you are an Oregon Qualified Archaeologist).
No phone calls, please. Only qualified candidates with an advanced degree will be considered for interviews. Interviews will be conducted with qualified applicants as they apply, and position will remain open until filled.
HRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to providing an environment of respect and inclusion where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and employees. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, stalking, or sexual harassment, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law. If you need to request an accommodation related to disability, religion, or related to domestic violence, stalking or sexual harassment, please contact Human Resources.
To apply for this job email your details to HR@hrassoc.com