Website Far Western Anthropological Research Group, Inc.
Archaeological Technicians (Part Time Temporary)– Western Utah
Far Western Anthropological Research Group, Inc.
About Far Western
Founded in 1979, Far Western Anthropological Research Group is one of the largest and most respected cultural resource management (CRM) firms in the United States. We take pride in guiding private and government clients through the cultural resources compliance process with high-quality archaeological research, creative and innovative problem-solving, and open communication with native peoples, regulatory agencies, and the interested public. This commitment is expressed through the dissemination of our findings and activities in outreach, media, and peer-reviewed literature. We believe this highlights the core purpose of historic preservation laws to work in the public interest.
During the month of July (actual schedule TBD), Far Western will conduct a 5,000-acre archaeological survey and excavate a Pleistocene-age Haskett hearth site on the Old River Bed Delta in the Great Salt Lake Desert. The area is located within the Hill AFB-managed Utah Test and Training Range-South roughly 40 miles southeast of Wendover. Dr. Daron Duke will be in the field as Principal Investigator. The project presents an opportunity to find and record some of the Great Basin’s earliest archaeology. To read more about the unique record of this area, check out these websites:
Far Western is looking for archaeological technicians to conduct this work between June 22 and July 29 according to a flexible schedule working around changing military access. We anticipate having more certainty with the schedule in June, but the work is expected to center on weekends and open weekdays with field stints of 4-10 days. Applicants must be able to pass military security clearance. We estimate about 20-25 field days will be needed to complete the work. Additionally, drive days to and from lodging will be paid in full. Daily drive pay to and from the work site will be one-way.
Wages paid according to experience per Department of Labor (DoL) category for Archeological Technician I, II, or III. For the area, these rates, plus health & welfare, are as follows based on Wage Determination 15-5489 (Rev. 16, 12/27/21):
|Labor category||Wage/hr||Health & welfare/hr||Total rate/hr|
|Archeological Technician I||$ 17.66||$ 4.60||$ 22.26|
|Archeological Technician II||$ 19.75||$ 4.60||$ 24.35|
|Archeological Technician III||$ 24.47||$ 4.60||$ 29.07|
- Lodging arranged by Far Western in Wendover, Utah
- Travel from home or other lodging is negotiable for those who live nearby or prefer otherwise, but travel into the military range must be in Far Western vehicles.
- Meal/incidentals per diem of $64 (GSA rate for 2022) will be paid at the conclusion of each field rotation.
- A bachelor’s degree or higher in anthropology/archaeology (or related field).
- Field school or commensurate CRM experience (e.g., survey, precontact and historic-era site identification/documentation/data collection, excavation, and familiarity with common electronic devices and hand-held tools).
- Interest in and expertise with lithic artifact recordation.
- Detail-oriented with the ability to adapt to varying data collection needs, field methods/pace, and dynamic project needs.
- Ability to communicate effectively and respectfully with co-workers, both verbally and in writing.
- Interest in and ability to collaboratively interact with clients, and co-workers.
- Ability to comfortably hike for up to 10 consecutive days in the summer heat of the Great Salt Lake Desert.
- Ability to work both collaboratively and independently within Far Western’s Safety Program and other Far Western protocols, COVID-19 and otherwise.
Interested applicants, please email the following to moc.nretsewrafnull@sboj
- A Word/pdf file of CV/resume.
- At least two references from agency/CRM/academic contacts in the last five years.
- Your current base location (city/state)
Check out Far Western’s website and feel free to link up with us on social media:
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com