Senior Paleontologist/Project Manager
Applied EarthWorks, Inc. (Æ) has an immediate opening for a full-time Senior Paleontologist / Project Manager. Æ is a leading consulting firm specializing in history, archaeology, cultural resource management (CRM), and paleontology. We recognize that our staff is our greatest asset and we are committed to providing a collegial, professional, and positive work environment. We take pride in providing a great place to work and we seek a qualified individual to join our team of stellar professionals.
This position reports to and works closely with the Program Manager to coordinate field efforts with clients, manage staff, assure quality deliverables are produced and build client relationships.
The Senior Paleontological/PM will identify paleontological services needed for specific projects, discussing these services with Æ’s Paleontology Program Manager and clients, recognizing staffing needs and collaborating with Æ’s Paleontology Supervisor, and preparing scopes of work, cost proposals, and schedules for services. The successful candidate also will assist with business development, identifying new clients, and contributing to company statements of qualifications for Æ’s paleontology services.
Typical job duties will include: oversee technical specifications and ensuring the accuracy and timeliness of teams executing work; prepare scopes of work and budgets to ensure they properly align services with project needs and meet/exceed best management practices; prepare or review technical reports, management plans, and other compliance documents prepared by junior staff; oversee proactive tracking and oversight of project status, resourcing and priorities for projects; assist all members/roles in prioritizing workflow.
- Comprehensive understanding of geology, paleontology, biology, paleoecology, stratigraphy, and biostratigraphy.
- Ability to identify regulatory compliance needs based on project descriptions, regulatory context, and construction design.
- Experience writing technical reports, management plans, and other documents at all levels of compliance.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with clients and staff.
Must meet the Society of Vertebrate Paleontologists (SVP) qualifications for Principal Investigator/Project Paleontologist. Candidates must have:
- A M.A. or Ph.D. degree in paleontology or geology and/or a publication record in peer-reviewed journals.
- Demonstrated competence in field techniques, preparation, identification, curation, and reporting in California.
- At least two full years of professional experience as assistant to a Project Paleontologist with administration and project management experience; supported by a list of projects and referral contacts
- Proficient in recognizing fossils in the field and determining their significance. As well as expertise in local geology, stratigraphy, and biostratigraphy. Experience collecting vertebrate fossils in the field.
Preference will be given to candidates with prior paleontological and project management experience in an environmental compliance setting, including successful authorship of past CEQA and/or NEPA documents, in Southern California.
Applied EarthWorks offers a wide range of benefits and a competitive compensation package. Eligibility for benefits is earned with length of service and includes paid vacation, sick leave, holidays, and professional development time; 401(k); and health, dental, vision, and life insurance. Æ additionally offers an Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) which provides employee-owners with a direct stake in Æ’s success by means of a retirement benefit. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
Æ is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, disability (mental or physical), gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, military veteran status, national origin, political affiliation, pregnancy, race, religion or creed, sex, sexual orientation, or any other factor that is not related to the job.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, professional CV or resumé, three professional references, and two writing samples to Human Resources at email@example.com. The application period will remain open until all positions are filled. No phone calls please.
 One CEQA and one NEPA document written by the Applicant are preferred, but two documents written by the Applicant for either CEQA or NEPA compliance will be accepted.