Donner Memorial State Park, Emigrant Trail Museum
- Museum depicts the history of the area and the people who came into this part of the Sierra, including local Native Americans, the Donner Party, and builders of the transcontinental railroad
- Location: Donner Memorial State Park, in Truckee just west of downtown on the south side of the freeway, 100 mi. east of Sacramento via Interstate 80
- Open Memorial Day to Labor Day, daily from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; September to May, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Call (530) 582-7892
- Visit http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=503
Empire Mine State Historic Park
- Site of the historic Empire Mine, an active gold mine for over 100 years
- Abandoned mines, mine yards buildings dating to the nineteenth century and the owner’s cottage built in 1897
- Visitors Center contains exhibits on the gold rush, with artifacts and historic photographs
- Location: 10791 East Empire Street in Grass Valley, 24 mi. north from Auburn on Highway 49
- Open daily, January to April from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; May to August from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.; September to December from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Visitors can take tours of the Owner’s Cottage at 1 p.m. daily and tours of the mine yard at 2 p.m. daily.
- Admission: adults $2, children 16 and under are free. Guided tours of the Mine and Cottage are $1.50.
- Call (530) 273-8522
- Visit http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=499